Ursa Major constellation
Saptarishi mandala – The Great bear – constellation of the seven sages – Amesha Spentas – Bilu-Zakki-Mati (lord of the ghost-worlds) – Haptoiring – Chitra-Sikhandi – Rikshah – Dub-Kabir – Arctos Megale – Margidda, the long chariot – Plaustrum major, great wagon – Ti-cheh, chariot of the supreme – The great Wain – Kallisto – Suruchi – Helike. Ursa Major the constellation.
Alpha – Dubhe – Alruccubah – Saptrishi Kratu.
Beta – Merak – Saptrishi Pulaha.
Gamma – Phecda – Fached – Saptrishi Pulastya.
Delta – Megrez – Saptrishi Atri.
Epsilon – Alioth – Saptrishi Angiras.
Zeta – Mizar – Mirza – Saptrishi Vasishta.
Star 80 – Alcor, the bird – Arundhati – Ashi – the evening – Saidak (the confident/the test of the minute) – The near one – Suka – Suha, the dim one.
Eta – Alkaid – Benetnasch – daughters – Marichi.
Theta – Al haud, the pond.
Iota – Talitha Borealis – Dnoces, third leap northern.
Kappa – Talitha Australis, third leap southern.
Lambda – Tania Borealis, second leap northern.
Mu – Tania Australis, second leap southern.
Nu – Alula Borealis, first leap northern.
Xi – Alula Australis, first leap southern – Lakshya.
Omicron – Muscida, muzzle.
Other Asterisms in Ursa Major
Nahushi – Nāgopavita, sacred thread made of the serpent. A figure of a serpent falling downward. Made up of the stars Iota, Tau, Omicron, Theta, Nu and star 23 of Ursa Major.
Al Awla – The first leap. Stars Nū and Xi, Ursa Major.
Tania – The second leap. Stars Lambda and Mū of Ursa Major.
Talitha – Third leap. Stars Iota and Kappa.
Kafzas – The leaps/the ages/ the 3 pairs – Kephrah – Phechrah.
Benetnash – The bear’s daughters, Epilson, Zeta and Eta of Ursa Major.
Stars at Sidereal Zodiac Degree
– Omicron Ursa Major. Muzzle. One of the stars that also makes the falling snake god Nahushi in the Indian pantheon. One of the stars that makes a gazelle in the Arabic asterisms.
– Iota Ursa Major. – The third leap of the gazelle. Northern.
– Alpha Ursa Major. Saptrishi Kratu. The Bear. The Egyptians knew it as Ak, the eye. The Chinese know it as Tien Choo, Heaven’s Pivot, and as Kow Ching.
– Beta Ursa Major. Saptrishi Pulaha in the Indian pantheon. One of the pointers in the great bear.
– Lambda Ursa Major. The second leap of the Gazelle. Northern part. Star in the right hind paw of the bear.
– Mu Ursa Major. The second leap of the Gazelle. Southern part. Star in the left hind paw of the bear.
– Gamma Ursa Major. Saptrishi Pulastya in the Indian Pantheon. Grandfather of Kubera. Father of Ravana. One of the 7 saints of Ursa Major. The thigh of the great bear.
– Delta Ursa Major. Saptrishi Atri. At the root of the tail of the Great Bear. Chinese Tien Kwan, the heavenly authority. Father of Soma. The Sage credited to evolving human intelligence.
– Chi Ursa Major. A star in the upper leg of the Great Bear. Watcher/curater of the Kafzas – The leaps/the ages/ the 3 pairs.
– Nu Ursa Major. The first leap. Northern. Gazelle, ages, and time.
– Xi Ursa Major. The second leap. Southern. Gazelle and of the ages. Also known as Al Awla.
– Epsilon Ursa Major. – Saptrishi Angiras. In the tail of the great bear. Aliyaat. In the Indian pantheon, the father of Agni. Amongst the building blocks of life.
– Zeta Ursa Major. Saptrishi Vasishta. One of the marriage stars in Indian systems. One of the keynotes of creation. Formerly a north pole star of ancient stars.
– 80 Ursa Major. Arundati. Makes a perfect double to the eye with Vasishta. One of the marriage stars in Indian systems. Marks the gates of heaven. The revolving star.
– Eta Ursa Major. – Saptrishi Marichi, meaning ray of light. Father of Martanda Surya. One of the first star gods thereafter associated with death and mourning. The ancient star-king linked to Arabic stars. Al Na’ash. In the tail of the Great Bear.
Sārameya-yugala mandala – the hunting dogs – Kālakanjas
Alpha – Cor Caroli – Jyeshtha Kālankanja
Beta – Kanishtha Kālankanja
– Beta Canis Venatici. Dear one. Also means edible root or starry. One of the hunting dogs, the northern one. One of the Kalankajas in the Indian Pantheon who make it to heaven despite being asuras/giants.
– Alpha Canis Venatici. The kalankajas, the dog-asuras that sneak into heaven and made gatekeepers.
A coat of quotes and passing poetry
"- Words from Adonis, the Syrian poet (born Ali Ahmad Said Esber). “So that your body moves wisely so that I move with it with what is above it below it. and in between so that I surround you and break any barrier that separates you from me. I read the book of your priests I grow into your origins.
I taste their creatures and personify them in my delusions so that you become the dot,
and I become the script and shape. so that you become ‘From’ and what follows it .
I am not your sea I am not the swans you wait for I have nothing but limbs.
Limbs that get lost.
After I erased-discovered you,
lost in a fever whose outer reaches I have yet to discover.
‘About’ and what it possesses, where words cannot contain me,
where only imaginings and symbols can contain me.”"
Script and Shape | Adonis