Hamsa mandala – The Swan – Galina – Hen – Ales Jovis – Bird of Jupiter – Milvus Ictin – the kite – Ornis – Kuknos. Cygnus, the swan’s constellation.
Alpha – Puccha tara – Deneb Adiga, the tail piece or follower – Arided.
Beta – Albireo – Ireus – Albiero.
Gamma – Sadr.
Epsilon – Gienah, wing.
Omega – Ruchba.
Pi – Azelfafage (tortoise) – Al Az Zilf Af Faras, the hoof of the horse. Also in Pegasus.
– Beta Cygus. The sword lily, song of the dying swan, or hen’s beak.
– Gamma Cygnus. Star in Swan’s breast. Also part of smaller asterism of ‘the Riders’. Cygus itself is called the cross of chivalry.
– Epsilon Cygnus. – The right wing of the Swan Cygnus in flight.
– Alpha Cygnus. Rosemund. The Swan’s tail. Also called Arion. Brightest star of Cygnus, in the cross of Chivalry.
– Pi Cygnus. In both Cygnus and Pegasus (of only 2 stars in recognised constellations). This is the horse’s hoof. In the wing in the Swan. Also means to track. Separately it also stands for a little tortoise.
Constellation of the Fox. Srigāla mandala – the jackal.
The bow and arrow. Vāna mandala.
7°12’ – Alpha Sagitta. Alsoham. The western shaft of the arrow.
Garuda mandala – Antinoūs – The Eagle – Vultur Volans – An Nas’r at Tayr, flying eagle.
Alpha – Altair – Vasudeva – the flying one – bird.
Beta – Alshain, falcon (white).
Gamma – Tarazed (plundering falcon).
Iota/Lambda – Thalimain.
Other Asterisms in Aquila
The 22nd nakshatra Shravan. In the shape of an arrow, three stars Alpha, Beta and Theta of Aquila make this asterism. Deity – Vishnu.
The two ostriches, stars Iota and Lambda of Aquila – Thalimain.
Mizam, the beam. Made up of Alpha, Beta and Gamma of Aquila.
– Zeta Aquila. Dheneb makes the tail of the eagle. Star very close to Pluto’s north node.
– Gamma Aquila. The Asvatha, sacred fig tree. One of the 3 steps of Vishnu. One of 3 stars of Shravan Nakshatra.
– Alpha Aquila. Vasudeva in the Indian pantheon, one of the 3 stars of Shravan. Called king of birds, or bird of Jové. Considered western quarter of heaven. Rising eagle.
– Beta Aquila South of 2 stars flanking Altair, part of Shravan Nakshatra’s Ear. Falcon.
Sravisthā mandala – The Dolphin.
Alpha – Sualocin – Nicolaus.
Beta – Rotanev – Venator, the hunter.
Epsilon – Al Dhanb al Dulfim, tail of dolphin.
Asterisms in Delphinus
Dhanishtā, the 23rd nakshatra. Consists of Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Epsilon and Zeta of Delphinus in the shape of a hand-drum. Deity – The Vasus.
– Beta Delphinus. Dolphin constellation, part of Sisumara Mandala in the Indian pantheon. One of the stars in Satabhisha Nakshatra.
– Alpha Delphinus. Saint Nicolas or Santa Claus. Also known as the swift one, or like the flow of water. Part of Indian Nakshatra Dhanishta, inner wealth, and the Vasus, the lunar ancestors.
A coat of quotes and passing poetry
Quote # 16